Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Shorewalker and the Storm


When one goes on vacation, especially to a southern destination such as the beach, one has an expectation. Warm weather, for one. Or, at least, sunny skies. Unfortunately, with the exception of the first full day we were here, we haven't gotten either in over 48 hours. About two weeks ago, I checked the weather to see what we were in for once we arrived and I saw nothing but rain and cloudy skies in our futures. I've long accepted that this would be more of an indoor retreat than anything else, but with everything the ocean and our surroundings should have to offer, it can turn somewhat oppressive if you let it. I refuse.

After the events of last night, all of which for privacy's sake, I won't go into here, we all in our own ways retreated to different corners of the house. Leila spent some time reading on the top-floor deck during a break in the clouds. Marty stayed close to his room and downloaded scores of music to keep us in good spirits for the rest of the trip. Katalina and Claire popped in a movie. Julia stayed close to her phone for any further updates. I went for a long walk by myself along the beach.


The ocean, as I've stated before, is a near-perfect place to clear your head. The repetition of the rolling waves can be borderline hypnotic and you see absolutely wonderful things happen along the shore. You see older couples walking hand-in-hand, children in the midst of primal innocence as they build their fortification walls and sand castles against the onslaught of the rising tide. You see families joined together by the water and many many others just enjoying what nature has to offer.

I've had a lot to think about lately, and the therapeutic effect of the sea has only given me more insight, regardless of the ominous, threatening clouds or the torrential rain that has confounded our days here so far. Such as everything else in life, the rain will pass. It will move on...maybe, just maybe, while we're still here on the island. In the meantime, I'm going to continue writing (I nailed out over 20 pages of a new script I've been thinking about lately), relaxing, and enjoying each and every moment that we're here. I will walk the shore again tomorrow morning and the next day, even if I have to get completely drenched doing it. The sea is a gift...why waste it?

No comments:

Post a Comment