Sunday, March 23, 2014

In Search of an Ancient: The Eagle Cap Wilderness

When: September 1 - 5, 2012
Distance: approx. 24.5 miles

Shortly after moving into Oregon, I came across an article that documented the search for a 2000 year old tree that exists in the eastern half of the state. Hidden on a remote mountain, the old gnarled and twisted Limber Pine grows as a symbol, a remnant of a time long passed.  I decided on the spot to go out in search for the tree, to enter the Eagle Cap Wilderness and hike my way over to Cusick Mountain, where the tree grows on one of the steepest pitches of one of Oregon's most remote environments, an alien landscape of granite, limestone and dark brown basalt.

My friend Josh, who I had met just a few months earlier, volunteered to accompany me on the trek. We left, packed and ready to go, early on a Friday morning and six hours later, we found ourselves embarking on the trail.  Although we wouldn't make it to the tree that weekend (due to limited time), we tackled one of the highest peaks in the region and spent three days in some of the most beautiful wilderness I've ever witnessed.


Dawn in the Columbia River Gorge.  

Walking along the Ridgeline of the Great Meadows, our goal; Eagle Cap Mountain in the distance.

Kino enjoying a mid-day swim in Mirror Lake

Kino and I heading up the last legs of Eagle Cap Mountain.  He was doing so well, but just needed that last bit of help below the summit.  

Looking out over the Eagle Cap Wilderness.  Cusick Mountain (not seen) would be below me and too my back right.  Unfortunately, it would've taken us another two days to get there.  

The Summit of Eagle Cap Mountain.  Elevation, 10,000 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment