Monday, April 12, 2010

Barrista's and the Strip

Deciding to skip the last screening of the day, my friend Erin and I left the Hilton to go grab some dinner. We drove around for a bit before finally deciding on an Italian restaurant that's a favorite of her brother's named Barrista's. Upon walking in, I was immediately reminded of an dimly-lit version of Buca di Beppo. There were old photos everywhere, a huge collection of nostalgia lining the walls and ceilings, and dining tables within nooks and crannies scattered throughout the restaurant. Plus, the place comes with unlimited free wine. And it was actually a decent house selection. No wonder her brother loves this place.

We ordered our food and spent the next few hours catching up over our meals. I unfortunately wasn't able to eat much again, even though I devoured my lunch earlier in the day. The queasiness I had suffered from the day before had returned almost immediately upon sitting down and I wasn't able to fit more than a few bites of a fantastic plate of lasagna down my throat before calling it quits. It was embarrassing, sure, but Erin was really cool about it. Surprisingly enough, sipping the wine over the next hour or two at the table actually helped settle my stomach quite a bit and before we knew it, it was well after 9:00. She needed to get back home since she had to get up early for work in the morning and I needed to get back to the hotel to change and find out where everyone was at.

After dropping me off and saying our good-byes, I headed back in to get changed. My buddy Jason was out somewhere on the strip and I wanted to catch up with the pub crawl event that the head of the Filmapolooza committee was sponsoring. It was nuts. First it started at Gustav's at Paris, then over to the Bellagio's Sensei and on to the Spanish Steps at Ceaser's Palace (as I'm told it's not the REAL Ceaser's Palace...like, Ceaser didn't actually, live there.) The next stop was the Sport's Bar at the Mirage then Gilley's Bar at Treasure Island and finally ending with some Bullriding at KC's. Unfortunately, my camera was in the hotel room during this entire saga, so I'll have to post a few internet-found pics instead.

Today's big event is the Q&A with Jason Reitman, Ivan Reitman's son and director of Juno, Thank You For Smoking and the recently released Up in the Air. Shortly after will be the final screening of films followed by the Awards Ceremony, where we'll find out who's making it to Cannes and who's going to win the Top 48 Hour Film of 2009. Dinner and the awards party will be taking place after wards at the Las Vegas Country Club, just across the street from the Hilton. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment